Village seen from the air

Click the map to zoom in (and out again).
Location of St Nicholas-at-Wade, Thanet, Kent, UK

St Nicholas-at-Wade

St Nicholas is a small village in the Isle of Thanet, Kent, England, the UK (Google Maps/Bing). It comprises some 1000 people, with one post office/general stores, one primary school, two places of worship (and one ancient underground chapel) and two pubs. The name derives from the fact that St Nicholas is the patron saint of sailors, and that one used to "wade" across a channel here to get to the mainland. This channel was once over a mile wide, and guarded at either side by the Roman forts of Reculver and Richborough, but has now dwindled to two small rivers, the Wantsum/Wansum and the Stour. Some parts of the village still contain the remains of Roman ship-building sites. The Norman church dates from the 13th century, and there are remains of earlier buildings too.

Regular concerts are held in the church, and other village events include the biennial Open Gardens (early June), the ancient tradition of Hoodening, and Father Christmas, who comes around in a pony-drawn sleigh on Christmas morning distributing presents. We used to have a torch-lit procession to the sea on Guy Fawkes' Night but this no longer takes place.

This page produced by Ben Jones. There is more information on the St Nicholas-at-Wade wiki site: if you live in the village, please help maintain & improve the content there.